Translate

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Peek-A-Boo With a Praying Mantis

A Praying Mantis egg case made it's way into the home and surprisingly 100 nymphs emerged from the case after it had been indoors for about one month. The nymphs were taken outside, several remained close to the house making an Agapanthus plant their temporary home. These pictures are of four day old nymphs! 


These two nymphs were watching me and very shy as I tried to get as close as I could with my camera. It felt a bit like a game of peek-a-boo. 


The word 'mantis' in Greek means 'prophet' or 'seer'. 


The 'medicine' of the Praying Mantis is believed to be patience, devotion, divine timing, the power of stillness and  the grace of accuracy. 

2 comments:

  1. Maria, your photos are stunning - thanks for sharing such inspiring images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love praying mantises. I have never seen one here in FL.

    ReplyDelete