Translate

Friday, April 19, 2019

The Return of the Osprey. Resilience.

For many of us, the sounds of Spring are noted by the return of the osprey. They have a shrill and emphatic sound that awakens the beauty of the return to warmer weather. These beauties will winter as far away as Brazil, Cuba,Venezuela, and Columbia. 
I find their migratory patterns fascinating. 
I have always loved maps, especially old ones. I love tracing the continents, countries, landscapes and shorelines with curiosity and imagination. My inner voice asks, what does their nest look like in their tropical habitats? And how do they manage to fly all the way back to the same location year after year? What have they seen?
I spent summers much closer to the ocean and do not remember seeing them or even knowing about them as a child. When I relocated to the Springs I began to see them and hear their calls as they carry fish in their talons over head. In recent years I have learned that this is an extraordinary comeback and success story in the natural world.

Mid-March, they reappear, slowly rebuilding their nests and catching the first fish that enter the bays. Their return feels like the reuniting with long lost friends. They are now taking to their posts for the warmer days. Nests woven into natural platforms carved by the wind, dead trees, and man made platforms in curious locations. One of my favorite nests is at the entrance to Three Mile Harbor. From there they are the witnesses to all of the boats entering safely at the harbor. Perhaps they also bless the ships as they sail out to sea.


This osprey is now rebuilding a by adding seaweed. I took this picture a few days ago as they flew back and forth from the nest to the shoreline where they are gathering various nesting materials that they will weave into an extraordinary structure. 
I also love the yellow in their fierce yes. Their talons are magnificent, strong and curled. How they are able to physically carry fish, sticks, and other nesting materials adds to their mystery.


Getting pictures of an osprey carrying fish is challenging, to find the right light, being in the right place at the right time and having the light touch gently illuminate the subject. So often they fly overhead and the wings protectively cover the catch. This photograph was taken at Accabonac harbor. I often see the osprey fly low overhead when I am swimming in Gardiner's bay. They carry it to the nest that is situated in the protected area alongside fresh pond in Amagansett. 
One new observation that I have made, is that they do not put their catch down until it is completely consumed or when they are back in the nest. I would imagine that another bird of prey would take the catch if it were left sitting for any length of time. Many of the pictures that I have with fish in their talons are taken when they are protecting their catch from another osprey or an eagle. Grand arial shows with swooping dives and screeches have become common as the osprey are now establishing themselves for the warmer months ahead. 


My friends Patricia Paladines and Carl Safina just gave me a book written by Alan F. Poole, titled Ospreys The Revival of a Global Raptor. This book is a thorough exploration of their habitats, their  migratory paths, nesting sites, developmental phases, threats to their global existence and solutions for their survival. 
This book is a true treasure. 
The medicine of the osprey is resilience, survival, grace, capacity and beauty. 
As we deepen our transition into Spring and warmer weather, I am wishing everyone much resilience and spaciousness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment