Translate

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hummingbird Medicine (Archilochus colubris)

 The magic of the hummingbird appeared this week the day of the full Harvest moon. 
 It drew nectar from the Cleome flowers and I was so happy to see this little green irredescent bird shimmer in the morning light. I could hardly believe my eyes. I had enough time to get my camera and take pictures of the beautiful juvenile female Ruby Throated hummingbird.


This sweet little photograph was taken with my iphone and it is a portrait of a Cleome flower.


The totem of the hummingbird represents the energy of joy. These little birds remind us to draw the sweet nectar from life and to work with the medicine of flowers. Hummingbirds are flying gems that encourage us to  step back and appreciate beauty in the forms of scent, taste and color while also  encouraging us to lean into a life of joy.


In late September they begin their migration South, they may fly as far away as the Gulf of Mexico. 
The are approximately 3.5 inches long and weigh less than an ounce. These are the only birds that can  fly backwards and upside down. 


Because this beauty arrived the morning after the full moon, I layered an image that I had taken the night prior with one of the hummingbird pictures. In the lower right hand corner of the picture is a tree peony flower that also grows in the garden here. While it is not in season, I added it to the image because I though it was so beautiful.


Below is one of my very first portraits. Last week I took pictures of my friend's beautiful children and layered a profile picture with the whimsy of the hummingbird that came to visit. It has been a very magical week and as the season is shifting and we are now officially in Autumn, there is a lot of activity in the woods and the butterflies appear to be heading South while the hummingbirds gather their last drops of nectar for their long journeys. 


Ezra and the hummingbird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment