Translate

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Lovely Lavender


Lavender (Lavendula officinalis) is now in bloom and it is gifting me the most beautiful flowers. In my private practice, I often use Lavender essential oil independently and in custom blends. It is also an excellent disinfectant, antiseptic, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and has calmative properties. It is a great oil to use in times of crisis or when one is feeling exceptionally frustrated or unable to express emotion.
The essential oil is also very good for topical application in stimulating blood flow and relieving muscle spasms. Applied to insect bites, it reduces redness itching and inflammation. Five drops added to an evening bath will encourage sleep.

I also use this essential oil in my natural perfumes. This oil is considered a top note and the absolute a middle note.

 According to European lore, lavender is a symbol of affection, and when dried, was often  passed as gifts  between lovers during the Renaissance. 
Lavender flowers are harvested toward the end of their flowering when the petals have begun to fade. The flowers are picked in the morning and are dried or distilled for essential oils. 
Lavender flowers also symbolize silence and is associated with the planet Mercury.
This sweet little visitor stood on a lavender leaf as I was taking pictures in my garden this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment